Incorporating Corpora (corpora.ku.edu)
Image courtesy of Robert Müller.
Language corpora began to inform the creation of textbooks and reference materials not long after the first electronic corpora became available in the 1960s. The concept of Data-Driven Learning, the use of corpora in instructed second language acquisition, can be traced to the late 1980s. Despite fifty years of use and a substantial body of literature showing their efficacy in the classroom, language corpora are far from a common pedagogical tool. In fact, teachers attempting to move from theory to praxis will find very few pedagogical manuals or user-friendly corpus tutorials, especially for languages other than English.
Incorporating Corpora provides an online manual on the use of corpora to teach German to English-speaking learners. It includes a brief overview of research in Data-Driven Learning, a guide for using Das Digitale Wörterbuch der Deutschen Sprache , and a selection of corpus-based assignments piloted in KU German courses. The manual is be the basis for a series of K-16 teacher workshops during which teachers will explore the use of language corpora in language teaching and will be invited to submit their own activities for inclusion in the project.
- Jablonkai, R., Forti, L., Abad Castelló, M., Salengros Iguenane, I., Schaeffer‐Lacroix, E., & Vyatkina, N. (2020). Data‐driven learning for languages other than English: The cases of French, German, Italian, and Spanish [Conference Proceedings]. In K.-M. Frederiksen, S. Larsen, & S. Thouësny (Eds.), CALL for widening participation: Short papers from EUROCALL 2020 (pp. 132–137). Research-publishing.net. https://doi.org/10.14705/rpnet.2020.48.1177
- Vyatkina, N. (2020). Discovery learning: Teaching languages with corpora [Web Publishing (article, blog, etc.)]. In CALICO Infobytes. Computer-Assisted Language Instruction Consortium. https://calico.org/infobytes/
- Vyatkina, N. (2020). Corpora as open educational resources for language teaching [Journal Articles]. Foreign Language Annals, 53(2), 359–370. http://hdl.handle.net/1808/30566
- Vyatkina, N. (2020). Corpus-informed pedagogy in a language course: Design, implementation, and evaluation [Book Chapters]. In M. Kruk & M. Peterson (Eds.), New technological applications for foreign and second language learning and teaching (pp. 306–335). IGI Global. http://hdl.handle.net/1808/30347
- Vyatkina, N. (8/21/2020). DDL for German: Available resources, learning outcomes, and future directions. EUROCALL Symposium Data-driven learning for languages other than English. Copenhagen, Denmark
- Vyatkina, N., & Kourehpaz, S. (2/8/2020). DIY resources for learning German: New corpus-based open educational materials. Midwest Association of Language Learning Technology (MWALLT). Lawrence, KS
- Vyatkina, N. (1/9/2020). Corpora as open educational resources for language teaching. Modern Language Association (MLA). Seattle, WA
- Vyatkina, N. (3/21/2019). Incorporating corpora into language teaching. International Association for Language Learning Technology (IALLT) webinar series.
- Vyatkina, N. (11/16/2018). Language corpora for L2 vocabulary learning: Data-driven learning across the curriculum. American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). New Orleans, LA
- Vyatkina, N. (10/5/2018). Corpus-based approaches to instructed second language acquisition. Cognitive Approaches to Language Acquisition. The Pennsylvania State University
Other OLRC Resources
Medianstunde (http://oer.ku.edu/german/medienstunde). Lesson plans, teacher presentations and handouts that guide beginning-level students through explorations of German-language websites. Designed for paired work and recommended for face-to-face instruction, but could be modified for online/distance instruction.
Deutsche Grammarfon (http://oer.ku.edu/tag/deutsche-grammarfon/). Introduction to beginning-level German grammar topics through popular music. Modules includes information about the musical artists,a video presentation of the grammar topic with downloadable pdf, as well as computer-graded actviities and downloadable worksheets.